Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lap tops are great!

I love the internet! I can play poker, watch a wrestling match, and listen to music all at the same time, and because I have a lap top I can do all of them on the toilet! Well that might be a little too much information for you, if that's the case I apologize. Perhaps my list of top 3 favorite romantic comedies will set the world back on it's access, and you and I will no longer be at odds.

At the risk of looking like a dirty stinkin' cheat Romanian, I'm going to say my #1 fave romantic comedy is the same as Joel's. When Harry Met Sally. There are myriad reasons to like this movie, so let me only name two. Both guys and girls can identify with this movie as; it shows the neurosis and inner turmoil of both genders. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are great in this movie. Their characters are real, and funny, poignant what more could you ask for; (kudos, to Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby for their excellent supporting character performances in this movie too.) The other thing I really like about this movie is that it's not one of those dumb movies that have a couple meet and "fall in love" in 20 minutes. This isn't real life (unless you're Joel...), for lots of people falling in love, or meeting your soul mate, is tough work. It's something that can take years to develop, so it's nice to see a movie develop the friendship before the "romance" begins.

For the record, I'm off the toilet now.

My second choice for fave romantic comedies is Frank Capra's
It Happened One Night. This might be the first renowned romantic comedy, and it definitely holds up 70 years later. I've only seen this movie once, over two years ago, but it has made such and impression on me, that I must include it in my list. Part of the reason I want to include it, is because I know it's not a movie that LOTS of people born in the last 30 years have seen, and I want to encourage you to get lost in the genius of Frank Capra and Clark Gable. To give you a picture of how good this movie is, my good friend Jim Yancy who is somewhat particular with his movie watching watched it with me and loved it! He usually doesn't have strong positive reactions towards romantic comedies or movies older than 30 years, and this movie made such an impression on him that he's written a screenplay of a modern day adaptation of this movie, because he likes the story so much. In this world we live in, if a movie makes an impression upon you, longer than a day or two, it's a cause for celebration. If a movie from 1936, can make an impression that lasts over two years, it's a must see for those who haven't!

Which, brings me to my thrid choice for best romantic comedy. It's a movie only freaks haven’t seen, and with a few exceptions, only freaks dislike the movie. (If you haven't seen it or by some happenstance happen to dislike it, you're the exception... and I respect your opinion) The movie is none other thanThe Princess Bride. I don't even think I have to write anything about it. We all know it, we all love it, we can quote it and delight in the glory that is this film. It's an adventure story that we can all get into, plus, the characters are so engaging, and the dialogue so witty that it's just plain fun, to watch. Plus Andre The Freakin' Giant is in it! (It occurs to me that this is the 2nd Billy Crystal and Rob Reiner movie on my list... I'm not really that narrow minded... or maybe I am... I also LOVE A Few Good Men (which is another Rob Reiner film... crap, I've become predictable...) Guess, I'll go back to the toilet now.

Others that didn't make the cut, but deserve honorable mention, A) Big and
B) Say Anything

3 Comments:

Blogger Daddy Rogue said...

Nice choices Dre. I'm glad we agree on "When Harry Met Sally." "The Princess Bride would easily be at the top of a general list of my favorite movies, but I didn't even think of placing it in romantic comedies, kudos. "It happened One Night" is a classic that I have not taken the time to see, I'll soon have to remedy that. Good work, as always

6:06 PM  
Blogger The Dre said...

Thanks for your kind words... I'm sorry I screwed up the html for most of them... (That's what you get for playing poker while typing...)

you're da bomb...
dre :)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home